Squibs at Lough Derg Yacht Club, Drominer
The Squib is very popular in Dromineer, with well over 20 boats in LDYC. It is a perfect boat for the club because of its fantastic versatility and suitability for the waters of Lough Derg. The Squib racing is famously competitive, close and exciting and a Squib sailor is rarely left standing on the shore not being able to sail.
The Squib’s fin keel also makes it ideal for day cruising across Lough Derg being continuously able to make way in light winds and remaining upright in heavy winds.
Squib sailing schedule
- Friday evening club racing, first gun at 18:15hrs. The season starts following St Patrick’s Day to the end of September.
- Wednesday evening sailing, first gun at 19:00 hrs. This runs every Wednesday from July to August, with an emphasis on introducing beginners to sailing & the Squib fleet.
- Sunday sailing is often a cruise to an interesting part of the lake and a picnic.
- The highlights of the year are the LDYC Regatta in August and the Freshwater One-Design Keelboat Regatta in October (with National and UK boats in attendance).
- A club SQUIB (382) is available to all club members.
We are a growing and active fleet and all are welcome to join us. Due to the growth of the fleet space for moorings are now limited, please contact Mooring Captain or Squib Class Captain for advice. If you don’t have a Squib but wish to sail a Squib do not hesitate in contacting us.
If you wish to get regular updates, please ask to join the “LDYC Squibs” WhatsApp group.